Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Day at Dak Shanghai

One of the highlights of my trip to Shangai, besides the food, was a trip to the Daktronics office, which has been in place for the past three years. I don't work at Dak, have never worked at Dak, but I have many friends who do, so I thought it would be worth checking out. Plus, I kind of wanted to show off to my friends.

Dan Chase, regional manager and a former Brookings resident, served as our host for the day. He gave us a tour of the building, which is nice but not especially striking, and showed us the plans for the new building, which are especially striking. AWhy does Daktronics Shanghai need a new building, you might ask? Probably because of its rapid growth, growth neccessary to keep up with the quickly changing and increasing Chinese market. While it's not US scale, Dan said, it is definitely seeing a growing market share.

While the office has established signs all over China and Hong Kong, I was happy to learn of their signs in Beijing, signs at the Forbidden City, Wangfujing street (where I had my cupping experience, and CCTV building (the primary news station in China.)


Daktronics Shanghai


A Keyframe designer working on a dragon for one of the signs.


Emily Minor, the manager of Keyframe, gave us a basic lesson about how Keyframe works.


Dan Chase giving us a a little demostration.


A woman repairing part of the LED screen. Chase said the repair capabilities is a strong points of Daktronics in China.




It felt strange to stand in front of a Daktronics screen, with video of an SDSU football game!


The small manufacturing room at the office (Daktronics Shanghai doesn't have a manufacturing plant). This room is used when there's an overflow of orders.

No comments: